Saturday 20 March 2010

Quilt No.2 Finished!

I got my wonky squares quilt finished off this morning! I'm pretty happy with it - and it seemed to get done incredibly fast compared to my first quilt. My lovely daughter (who is not a giant, just standing on a chair) helping me: (Dull wet day here, so very gloomy pics.)I'm glad my sums worked and that I divided up the pieces for the coloured strip on the back, right!
This was only a cheap quilt really - I used a white sheet for most of the fabric. It has a slightly different feel to the nice Kona solids for example, kind of less 'absorbent' feeling. It's OK though.
You can see my (far from perfect) quilting better here. I just did it by eye, and it turned out pretty much how I imagined it. I am not keen on the quilting bit though - probably because it is hard to do perfectly. (I unpicked a few lines where the fabric had little folds, and some of the lines do not flow smoothly). I don't know if I will get better with experience, or if my small & old machine is not ideal - probably a combination of both. Maybe I should try a quilt that just uses straight lines next!I used the Amy Butler for the binding (3'' wide) because that was the only fabric from the quilt that I had enough of... the rest I had only bought in fat quarts. And now this quilt has a new owner - my 4 year old went crazy for it, and he's already got it laid out on his bed. I didn't think he would like it because of all the pink - I had a nice cars one planned for him - but orange is his favourite colour and he loves the quilt, so it's his.

5 comments:

  1. I'm amazed how fast you can crank these quilts out. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really gorgeous!!! I bet your son fell in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Helen, again a lovely one indeed...you are bitten there is no doubt about it...
    love your stripes for the back...neat effect...
    and I am with him...orange is on the wow factor..blessings madame samm

    ReplyDelete
  4. this quilt is amazing...i sooooo love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is beautiful!! hope you have fun in the usa!!

    ReplyDelete